1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
This verse is a hard one to follow some times, especially when things don’t go your way, but God was clear, the will of God is for you to give thanks in everything. Good and bad. Happy and sad. Whether you understand it or it makes no sense at all. God has asked us to give thanks.
As we approach Thanksgiving I have many reason to be thankful for the school my children go to:
- I am thankful for the teachers my children have this year (2015) both of my children have are outspoken Christians. They show it in the way that they love our children, the behaviors they exhibit, and by their testimony both inside and outside the school.
- I am thankful for a Principle and Vice-principle who desire to see children succeed and show a genuine care and concern for each child, no matter the challenges they may face. They see that while education is important, the personal needs of the kids are equally important, if not more important.
- I am thankful for the “Community In Schools” program at school. They are there to assess the needs of individual students and connect them with mentors to help them not only with their school work, but to guide them and help them with challenges in life. I am thankful that they open their meetings in prayer and that the majority of the people who are serving are people who know Christ.
- I am thankful for my children and the progress they are making in their education. Many schools get a bad rap with people saying that teachers aren’t able to focus on individual progress of children, but I have seen first hand our teachers take time to help each student, and identify problem areas that we as parents can work on at home (this is the key to education anyways, how are we as parents helping our children grow and learn.)
- I am thankful for our PTO and the unity they have in helping make our school a better place and helping do what they can to not only allow for affordable activities, but taking the funds from these activities to better the school environment by providing supplies and tools that help our teachers be able to more effectively teach.
- I am thankful for the students I am able to spend time mentoring, while it may be my personal goal to be a help to them through the year, they do more to bless me then I could ever give in return to them.
- I am thankful for our resource officer. Our resource officer is great! The students know that he is there to offer protection and to keep them doing right, but they also know that he cares for them and he is friendly towards them. The students respect him, but also know if they have a problem that they could easily go and talk with him if they needed to.
- I am thankful for the officers who volunteer their time to direct traffic before and after school. They are not required to be there, most of the time these officers have just finished the overnight shift and could easily put it off as volunteer work and go home, but they are there every morning ensuring the safety of students arriving to school. Even then as volunteers they are only asked to stay until the buses have left, but most of them stay longer and wait until the car rider traffic has died down. To top it all off, the captain of the police leads by example and volunteers more than anyone else to take the morning duty.
- I am thankful that God lead us to put our children into our local school and that we have an opportunity to be a testimony for Christ to all those around us!
What ways can you be thankful for the school(s) your children attend?